UAE signs nuclear cooperation deal with Russia

The United Arab Emirates has signed an agreement with Russia to share nuclear technology, equipment and material.

According to Fox Business, the oil-rich Gulf state got approval from its nuclear regulator earlier this year to construct its first two civilian nuclear reactors as the country looks for ways to supplement its energy generation without dipping further into its fossil fuel exports. The UAE is among the world’s top five power consumers per capita, and currently around 80 percent of its electricity is produced by burning natural gas with the remaining 20 percent generated from oil. The emirate hopes nuclear power will eventually provide 25 percent of its energy needs.

The country has inked similar agreements with Australia, Canada, the US, South Korea, and France, Fox Business reports.

Subscribe to Nuclear Power International magazine

No posts to display