Bharat Heavy Electricals commissions third coal-fired unit at Nabinagar Thermal Power Project

Coal-fired power plant file photo.

India-based power generation equipment and infrastructure firm Bharat Heavy Electricals (BHEL) recently commissioned a 250-MW coal-fired unit in Bihar that is a part of a joint venture between the state-run electricity firm NTPC and Indian Railways.

The Nabinagar Thermal Power Project, ultimately to total about 1,000 MW, has ordered four sets of turbine and steam generators 250 MW each. BHEL has now commissioned three of the four units and its work include design, engineering, manufacture, supply, erection and commission of the steam turbines, generators and boilers, among other duties.

BHEL has a long-standing partnership with NTPC and has supplied approximately 34,000 MW of the coal-based power plants of NTPC and its JVs that account for around 75 percent of NTPC’s coal-based installed capacity.

About 90 percent of the electricity generated will be allocated to the railways. The remaining 10 percent is given to Bihar, which is India’s third largest state by population.

BHEL was founded by the Indian government in 1964. It employs close to 40,000 people with footprints in 82 countries, according to BHEL’s website.


No posts to display