The call for papers has been issued for Uprating & Refurbishing Hydro Powerplants, to be held in Montreal, Canada, from Oct. 1 to 3, 1997. Abstracts of 500-800 words, in English, are invited regarding approaches to refurbishment, machinery, civil works, environmental aspects or case studies with unusual or innovative engineering. Abstracts are due by Sept. 30, 1996, to Janet Dansie, International Water Power & Dam Construction, Quadrant House, The Quadrant, Sutton, Surrey SM2 5AS, UK. Entries ma
Hydro-Quebec and Green Mountain Power are testing a fleet of Solectria electric vehicles (EV) to gauge their performance in cold weather and rural locations. The tests are being conducted at Hydro Quebec`s electrochemical and electrical laboratory north of Montreal, as part of the Electric Vehicle Demonstration Project of Vermont.
Utility coal use is expected to set a record, increasing to 839 million tons in 1996, up from 824 million tons in 1995, according to predictions from the National Mining Association (NMA). Nonutility coal use for power generation is expected to be 14 million tons in 1996, up from 9.4 million tons in 1994 and 12 million tons in 1995. Coal use in 1995 was boosted by a very cold November and December in the eastern and midwestern regions, providing a strong end to a year that began on a slow note f
I am writing with some concerns about Part 2 of the outage management report, "Focus: nuclear power plant outages," by Jerry Locsin, CSR Data Services, in the January issue of Power Engineering. There seem to be several problems with this article.
Maintenance staff at Ontario Hydro`s 4,300-MW nuclear generating station at Pickering, near Toronto, Canada, had experienced difficulties reading glass gauges on condensate drain tanks and high-pressure feedwater tanks.
Oglethorpe Power Corp. has formally dedicated its Rocky Mountain Hydroelectric Plant in northwestern Floyd County, Ga. The $1 billion plant, which began commercial operation this summer, is capable of generating more than 800 MW of electric power. Oglethorpe will own 75 percent of the plant and will serve as plant operator. Georgia Power Co. will own the remaining 25 percent.
Advanced technology steam- and gas-turbine generators, hydro-generators and power plant instrumentation and control systems are provided. The new 3A gas-turbine family offers proven high-efficiency performance and the lowest life-cycle costs of any unit on the market. Complete field and shop service capabilities for steam, hydro and gas-turbine generators are also offered. Creative service solutions from the company can assist power plant owners in getting the most from their turbine and generat
Coal will remain the dominant fuel for electric power generation through at least the year 2004, according to the North American Electric Reliability Council`s Electricity Supply & Demand 1995-2004. Coal will generate 57 percent of the nation`s electricity in 1995, with oil and gas combining for 11.5 percent. Nuclear accounts for 22.4 percent and hydro produces 8.7 percent.
Corrosion from constant mist and humidity of Niagara`s Horseshoe Falls along with ultraviolet damage and aesthetic considerations forced Ontario Hydro to perform rigorous protective maintenance on one of its two control gates along the Niagara River in Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada.
In 1993, it was necessary to replace the original 12-inch pipes providing water to the Smith Mountain hydro plant near Roanoke, Va. The piping, installed in the early 1960s, had developed leaks and other problems.