Nuclear, Reactors

NRC approves transfer of nuclear operating licenses from CENG to Exelon

The U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) approved the direct transfer of five nuclear power plant operating licenses from Constellation Energy Nuclear Group LLC to Exelon Generation Co.

CENG currently holds the five operating licenses for Calvert Cliffs 1 and 2 in Maryland; Nine Mile Point 1 and 2 in New York and Ginna in New York. Exelon owns a 50.01 percent stake of CENG, with EDF Inc. owning the remaining 49.99 percent. The Long Island Power Authority owns 18 percent of Nine Mile Point 2 and is not affected by the license transfers.

The NRC approved the indirect license transfers in February 2012 when Exelon merged with Constellation Energy Group. The direct transfer lets Exelon integrate operations of the facilities into its existing nuclear fleet.

Subscribe to Nuclear Power International magazine