Coal, New Projects

Doosan Heavy to build 1240 MW coal power plant in Vietnam

Doosan Heavy Industries & Construction has signed a contract worth $1.3bn with US utility AES’s Vietnamese subsidiary, AES-VCM Mong Duong Power, to build the Mong Duong II coal fired power plant of northeast of Hanoi.
The engineering, procurement and construction contract is for a 1240 MW coal fired power plant in the province of Quang Ninh, planned to be commercially operational by 2015. AES in April signed a 25-year power purchase agreement with state-owned power company Electricity Vietnam (EVN) for the Mong Duong II coal fired plant.
The company said that all local approvals, including environmental permits, had been secured for the project, which would use local anthracite coal. AES VCM has a 90 per cent ownership interest in the Mong Duong II project, while state-owned Vinacomin controls the remaining 10 per cent.