Coal

Indonesian coal producer plans two new power plants

12 September 2005 – Indonesia’s state-owned coal mining company PT Tambang Batu Bara Bukit sam (PT BA) is planning to build two more coal fired power plants at a cost of $1bn in coal mining areas in South Sumatra, said its President Ismet Harmaini.

The two new plants will be located in Tanjung Enim with a capacity of 1200 MW and 2400 MW respectively. A feasibility study for the Bangko Tengah project is underway and its construction tender will be held only in mid 2006.

PT BA has been reported to sign a contract with China Huadian Corp and China Development Bank to build the 2,400 MW Bangko Tengah power plant projects in Jambi, Central Sumatra.

China Huadian will own 55 per cent of the project with PT BA holding the remaining 45 per cent. Bukit Asam will supply 10 million tons of coal every year to feed the plant.