Nuclear

PPL’s Susquehanna Nuclear Plant Sets Generation Record

Issue 2 and Volume 105.

PPL’s two-unit Susquehanna nuclear plant generated more than 17.5 billion kWh in 2000, producing more electricity than in any year since the plant began operation in 1983 and breaking the previous record set in 1996 by 3.8 percent. Herbert D. Woodeshick, special assistant to the president, noted that 1 billion kWh is enough electricity to provide for the annual needs of 100,000 households in the eastern U.S., where PPL Susquehanna’s electricity is marketed. PPL Susquehanna, LLC operates the Susquehanna plant and owns 90 percent of it; Allegheny Electric Cooperative Inc. owns the remaining 10 percent.