Nuclear

PECO Energy Co. has been named Washington International Energy Groups Energy Company of the Year

Issue 3 and Volume 103.

Business Briefs

PECO Energy Co. has been named Washington International Energy Group`s Energy Company of the Year.

Wisconsin Electric is proposing a three-part project to add 135 MW to its Germantown Power Plant while converting the plant to natural gas.

Duke Energy Power Services has announced plans to sign a 10-year lease with the Port of San Diego to operate and eventually replace its 706 MW South Bay Power Plant in Chula Vista, Calif.

Southern Co. has announced plans to build a 400 MW simple-cycle combustion turbine peaking power plant in Jackson County, Georgia, to be operational in the summer of 2000.

Consolidated Edison Energy Inc. has been selected to purchase 290 MW of fossil and hydro-electric generating assets auctioned by Western Massachusetts Electric Co., a wholly owned subsidiary of Northeast Utilities, for $47million.

The Orlando Utilities Commission is negotiating to sell its Indian River power plant to AES Aurora for approximately $150 million.

FPL Energy Inc. has announced plans to build, own and operate a 248 MW, combined-cycle gas plant in Everett, Wash. Construction is to begin late this year with commercial operation in 2001.

American Electric Power Co. may keep its Donald C. Cook nuclear plant closed through the end of the year. The plant has been closed since September 1997.

Santee Cooper has announced plans to build a 500 MW natural gas-fired, combined-cycle power plant in South Carolina. The state-owned utility has not yet selected a site.

Calpine Corp. has entered agreements to acquire Unocal Corp.`s 75 percent interest in a geothermal steam field operation at The Geysers for $101 million. Calpine already owned the other 25 percent.

The Minnesota PUC ordered Northern State Power to proceed with construction of 400 MW of wind energy.

Carolina Power & Light announced record generationfor its Robinson, Harris and Brunswick nuclear plants in 1998, with 25.5 million MWh of power generated, passing the 1997 record by 2.1 percent.

Silicon Power Corp. and SatCon Technology Corp. have each received a $10 million grant from the Department of Energy to develop smaller, less expensive electric power systems for vehicles. Final prototypes are due in three years.

Perry Nuclear Plant announced a record year in 1998 with a 99 percent availability factor. p