BALTIMORE, Oct. 2, 2002 -- Constellation Energy Group announced that John T. Conway has been named a vice president of the company's Constellation Generation Group (CGG) with responsibility for the Nine Mile Point Nuclear Station in New York. Conway will report directly to CGG President Michael J. Wallace.
Previously site vice president responsible for daily operations, Conway succeeds Raymond L. Wenderlich, who will assume a leadership role in the growth and development of Constellation Generation Group.
Wenderlich led the due diligence process that preceded the November 2001 purchase of Nine Mile Point from Niagara Mohawk Power Corporation and several other sellers.
Wenderlich then led the transition and integration of Nine Mile Point into Constellation Energy Group.
"Ray's leadership was key to the continued safe operation of Nine Mile Point as it transitioned into Constellation Energy Group," Wallace said. "The station has seen performance gains in key areas under Constellation's ownership and is positioned for further improvement. We are confident in John Conway's ability to carry forward the initiatives we have developed to take Nine Mile Point to the next levels of safety, efficiency and reliability. We remain committed to continued investment in the station, its employees and the community."
Effective Nov. 6, Conway will assume overall executive responsibilities for the two-reactor station. Constellation Energy Group owns 100 percent of the Unit 1 reactor and 82 percent of Unit 2. The Long Island Power Authority owns the remaining 18 percent of Unit 2.
Conway worked for 21 years at Niagara Mohawk Power Corporation in management and leadership positions at Nine Mile Point including vice president of generation and vice president of engineering. He has also served as a member of the Institute of Nuclear Power Operations Executive Review Group and as a member of the Institute of Nuclear Power Operations Plant Evaluation Industry Review Group.
Conway holds a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering from the University of Rochester. Conway and his wife, Jean, reside in Fulton, NY. They have two children, a son and a daughter.
About Constellation Energy Group
A Fortune 500 company based in Baltimore, Constellation Energy Group owns energy related businesses, including a North American wholesale power marketing and merchant generation business that operates in competitive markets across the country, and the Baltimore Gas and Electric Company (BGE).
Constellation currently provides wholesale electricity to more than a dozen utilities in New York and New England. At year-end 2001, Constellation Energy Group reported revenues of $3.9 billion and assets of $14.1 billion.